Upcycling -Tie Dying Old Curtains

So my living room curtains were a bit grim. They were free (nothing wrong with that) taken from a house that my brother moved in to. Originally, they were a cream colour. Unfortunately, I live in a little flat that is susceptible to damp and mould (yeah, grim). So, no matter what we do, our stuff just gets ruined. Hence, why I won't spend money on new curtains!

The solution I came up with was to dye them! And personally I think it was a pretty good shout. I picked up some fabric dye from Aldi. They had black, red or blue. I went for black because I wanted the mould stains to be fully covered. 

I searched a few YouTube how to's and away we went...easy peasy!


Any fabric dye would be fine. I picked mine up in Aldi but I know that Wilkos, Hobbycraft and other supermarkets sell dyes. This was a bucket based dye, some can be done in the machine. Although I don't know how effective that is on tie dye patterns.



I chose to do a traditional Japanese style Shibori pattern (google for patterns available, there are lots of ways to fold!) 



It was then a case of mixing the dye and adding the fabric. We let ours soak for an hour before thoroughly rinsing the rest of the dye out and then putting it through a gentle wash in the machine.


The result...
I actually really love them. 
We've noticed some odd faces/images within them. They kind of have an x-ray effect!

* I used x2 boxes of fabric dye for my curtains which were roughly 775g each. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wanderlust Series: Travel Savvy - Tips and ideas for the frugal traveller

2019: Happier, Healthier and Guilt Free